What's the opportunity?
Our mission is to get our customers ‘what they need when they need it’, and our Estimators are critical to our success for ‘what they need’. We are looking for an organized and computer-savvy team player to join our Ottawa Design & Engineering team as an Estimator.
In this role, you estimate material requirements for low-rise residential construction jobs, based on customer-provided plans and information. Your scope of work includes lumber, roofing materials, fire separation materials, insulation, sill gasket, house wrap, poly, and other accessories related to the building envelope.
You ensure that estimates and revisions are correctly captured in our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, so that we build and ship customer orders on time, in full.
Every day, you will have the opportunity to highlight your organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. You take initiative and work well independently, but also relish being part of a collaborative, connected team. There will be the opportunity to work from home a few days/week once you are trained and established in this role.
- – Meticulously interpret contract documents (including Architectural & Structural drawings, Scopes of Work, Details) in order to provide accurate material take-offs and cost estimates
- – Use Planswift software to prepare your estimates and import them into KOTT’s Enterprise Resource Planning system
- – Create KOTT Scopes of Work as required
- – Incorporate feedback or revisions from customers and/or KOTT Sales reps to ensure the take-offs and estimates in our system reflect the most up-to-date and accurate information
What you need to succeed:
Experience & Education
- – 2 years’ experience estimating lumber and building materials for residential construction
- – Rough carpentry, framing or other jobs site experience is considered an asset
- – Formal education in Architectural Technology is an asset, but equivalent experience will be strongly considered
Skills & Qualifications
- – Ability to read and interpret plans and drawings is mandatory
- – Knowledge of residential building components and construction terminology is mandatory
- – Strong general computer skills are required, including experience with MS Office products
- – Experience with estimating software is required; specific experience with PlanSwift is a strong asset
- – Experience working in a CRM or Enterprise Resource Planning software is an asset; specific experience with BisTrack is a strong asset
- – Good verbal and written communications skills
- – Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- – Fluency in English is required; fluency in French is a strong asset